Melasma, a form of hyperpigmentation also known as the "pregnancy mask," is very common among pregnant women. It causes dark patches to develop on areas of the skin such as the face. While it is not dangerous, it can cause distress because of the way that it looks. However, there are ways to less the appearance of the dark patches and conceal them. These tips can help you learn how to get rid of pregnancy mask.
1. Cleanse your face with products that contain lactic acid or glycolic acid. These alpha hydroxy acids are safer during pregnancy than salicylic acid (which doctors recommend pregnant women NOT use).
2. Use a skin lightening product. Many can be purchased over the counter. You may want to steer clear of products with hydroquinone, but there are plenty skin lighteners that are hydroquinone free.
3. Use a concealer to cover the darkened area. A yellow concealer will neutralize the brown areas and you can apply your regular concealer over that.
4. Stay out of the sun. Exposing your skin to UV rays such as sunlight or a tanning bed will cause the patches to darken. Use sunscreen and wear a hat when you are outdoors.
5. Relax. Some research shows that stress can make melasma worse. This is yet another reason to put your feet up, kick back and relax.
If you find that your efforts are just not working, talk to your doctor. He or she may be able to prescribe a remedy or refer you to a dermatologist who can help you.