The first step in correcting your pH (alkaline-acid) imbalance is to remove debris that has built up in the body over the years from dietary and environmental toxins such as refined foods, processed foods, household chemicals and pollution. The acid that is generated from these toxins hormones the body and causes low energy, pain and other health problems. By detoxing and cleansing your body, you allow it to heal naturally.
Many people's diets consist of acid-forming foods like sugar, dairy, white flour, artificial sweeteners, coffee, soda and alcoholic beverages. When the body is too acidic, it becomes breeding grounds for bacteria, yeast and fungi. This interrupts cellular activity. Long term, excess acid leads to thinner bones and lower muscle mass. These problems are compounded by normal aging, which increases bone loss and muscle deterioration. A detoxification or cleanse can help slow down this process of deterioration and can increase vitality.
The most beneficial cleanses are those that remove acidic wastes through the seven channels of detoxification and elimination: the colon, blood, skin, kidneys, lymphatic system, lungs and liver.
The best cleanse to start with is the colon cleanse. Without a clean colon your body can not eliminate toxins from tissues and organs. The colon is the body's first defense for toxic substances. When it is toxic, the rest of your body suffers.
A detox can include a special diet, vitamins, hydrotherapy, exercise, breathing techniques or sauna therapy. Although more controversial, some cleans include colon hydrotherapy or fasting.
Who needs to detox?
Perfect candidates for a detox include those who experience:
- Weight issues
- Frequent colds & flus
- Allergies & asthma
- High blood pressure
- Constipation or digestive problems
- Menstrual problems
- Aches & pains
Are there special considerations while doing a detox?
It is very important to take care of your body during a cleanse:
- Get plenty of rest
- Drink 1/2 ounces of water per pound of body weight
- Stay away from citric acid (excluding lemons and limes), mushrooms, yeast, vinegar, peanut products and corn products
- Dry brush your skin (always brushing toward the heart)
- Neti with sea salt (neti bowls are sold at drug stores and health food stores)
- When taking a shower, run hot water for 30 seconds then cold water for 30 seconds. Repeat 7 times
- Remove greasy foods, sugar and saturated fat from your diet
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, over the counter drugs, cigarettes
- Minimize use of chemical-based household products
- Choose all natural personal health care products
- Eat plenty of fiber, including fresh vegetables and fruits, brown rice, beets, radishes, artichokes, seaweed
- Breathe deeply to get oxygen circulating
- Sweat to eliminate waste
- Stay away from stressful situations
- Exercise, practice yoga, meditate
Non-eliminated acid waste is reabsorbed through the colon into the liver and goes back into general circulation, until it deposits in the tissues. Therefore, it is important to eat healthy foods and do cleanses to keep your body's pH level balanced.