Here in America, our culture does not naturally embrace our "natural smell" like others. We label it as "body odor", which has a negative connotation. Some people's natural body odor is pleasant to us. They're called pheromones. No one wants to smell unpleant, which is why some are hesitant to try a natural deodorant. However, studies have revealed that the aluminum in antiperspirants perpetuate cancer and other chronic illnesses. Americans are beginning to switch to aluminum free deodorant. The switching might be difficult for some. Aluminum free deodorant can work for all body chemistries. If you find that natural deodorant is not working for you, there are steps you can take to help make the switch easier.
You've Made The Choice
Somethings work best when you drop them cold turkey, some do not. Making the switch to aluminum regular use of conventional deodorants and antiperspirants can change the bacterial microbiome in your armpits, causing an overproduction of bad bacteria which gives a worse odor when you stop using them. Some may have to prepare their body before switching to aluminum free deodorant. If you've tried to "Just switch" and you smelled terrible at the end of the day. Consider all the factors before going back to antiperspirant.
Try an underarm detox.
How To Detox
- The Baking Soda Method: Baking soda is one of the best ingredients on the earth for pH balancing the body. To detox your armpits with baking soda make sure you clean your armpits and while wet apply ALUMINUM FREE baking soda and leave on for 15 minutes or longer then wipe clean. Repeat this procedure each day for a week or longer.
- Apple Cider Vinegar, Lemon, or Witch Hazel Method: After a bath or shower to apply either lemon or apple cider vinegar to your armpits. Allow the armpits to dry before going to apply deodorant which is optional. Some of the quickest detoxification comes with removing both deodorant and antiperspirants all together. Witch hazel can also be used in place of ACV or lemon with this protocol.
- Clay Detox Recipe:
1 tablespoon bentonite clay
1 teaspoon of raw apple cider vinegar
- Mix the clay and vinegar with a spoon or two of water to make a paste-like consistency.
- Spread a thin layer of this mixture on each armpit, allowing it to work its magic for about 15 minutes.
- Rinse off the mask in the shower using a soft cloth and dry the armpits thoroughly after your shower. You can then apply a natural deodorant if you wish, or go au natural.
- Repeat this process daily until your body odor has settled down and you can apply a natural deodorant without unwelcome side effects.
- Finally, vow never to go back to your conventional, chemical-laden antiperspirant or deodorant!
* If you feel pain after application, you should rinse off the mask immediately, although it's more likely you will experience a tingling or warm sensation as blood flow to the area increases – this is normal.
After the Detox
You will notice less odor, less irritation and perspiration after using natural deodorant, no more product build up in your armpits, improved lymphatic function, and reduction in illness.
Introducing chemicals to the body can lead to side effects. The human body is a perfect ecosystem. Adding things that do not belong upsets a perfect balance. Your body will tell you when it's time to take a break and detox.