All of you must have a friend who eats like an elephant without earning a pound, no? Have you ever thought why it is so?
It's genetic. Some people inherit faster metabolism than others. However age, sex, exercise, eating habits and many other factors also tell the rate of your body metabolism. Although one can not control one's age and gender, there are some other ways to boost metabolism and burn fat. The most important of them is to have a healthy and balanced diet ie the one that gives you enough energy but not extra fats. Let's list some of such foods that boost metabolism. For a detailed metabolism boosting cookbook, refer to The Metabolic Cooking which lists 250 fat burning recipes.
Metabolism Boosting Foods:
Before you proceed, you must never forget to have your breakfast! When you start your morning with breakfast, it provides you with higher energy levels which means you can burn more calories while working. When you work with empty stomach, your body burns fewer calories because it needs to conserve and burns only when it is necessary until food is available. So if you want to lose your weight, start your day with a healthy breakfast! It will fuel your body and amplify metabolic rate. It also brings the chances of overeating the rest of the day.
- Milk- Be sure to have milk everyday. Milk is a healthy source of calcium. Calcium provides increases in body's core temperature which boost metabolism that further helps your body burn extra fats. The group of dieters who consumed about 1,200 mg of calcium daily was reported to lose about twice as much weight as the other group who consumed less amounts of calcium as the research studies shows. Milk also contains complex carbohydrates which keep the insulin levels low. Low insulin levels mean boost in metabolism which is accepted when they send signals to your body that it needs to store less.
- Eggs- Including eggs in your breakfast is one of the tastiest and healthiest way to fuel metabolism. Egg contains a healthy dose of protein. All protein foods help in kicking metabolism into high gear. Protein takes more energy to be digested than carbohydrates or fat. So higher is the protein intake, the harder your body works to digest it, burning more calories. Egg also contains Biotin (one of the least well-known of the B-complex vitamins) which is involved in the metabolism.
- Oatmeal – It contains lots of healthy proteins, vitamins and complex carbohydrates. Not only that! It also fights against bad cholesterol. A bowl of oatmeal daily can lower down blood cholesterol because it contains good amounts of fiber.
Fruits and vegetables that boost metabolism.
- Apples and Pears – When it comes to increasing your metabolism, apples and pears are your best friend. They are both rich in the soluble fiber pectin, which lowers down cholesterol and other body fats through several mechanisms. Plus, they help you stay full longer and prevent you from eating much. The helpful role of apples and pears is proven when a Brazilian study reported that a group of women who were given three apples or 3 pears daily to eat for 3 months lost more weight than those who consumed oats each day during that time.
- Grapefruit – Certain foods fire-up your metabolism. Grapefruit is one of them. Grapefruits are loaded with good amounts of fiber. Fiber is very hard for the body to break down – to do so you must burn extra calories that would result in weight loss . It also reduces insulin levels that prompt your body to store fat.
- Tomato – You may get into the confusion whether tomatoes are "fruit" or "vegetables", keep it aside for now. One thing is for sure, they are quite helpful for your body metabolism. They have magic fat-burning abilities.Tomatoes are rich in fiber and low in calories, both making it a super food for you. So do not forget to add the tasty logo in your meal!
- Avocado – Avocado is almost a complete fruit. If you are lucky enough to live in a tropical country, do not miss to eat this food that boost metabolism in its harvest season. It offers a lot of health benefits but we're concerned with its metabolic-boost application.
- Avocado is a rich source of L-carnitine which helps to facilitate metabolism, and promotes fat loss. Most of the fat that avocado contains is good monounsaturated fat which lowers cholesterol level. Avocado take was reported, in a research activity, to have lowered blood cholesterol levels in which 45 dieters experienced an average loss of 17% cholesterol after eating avocados for only one week.
- Who would not wish to have a slim, flat stomach? Avocado is a power food for the reduction of belly fat. It is responsible for lowering down a hormone that is involved in the storage of abdominal fat. It also contains Potassium which is effective for metabolism boost and belly fat reduction. So what are you waiting for? Go ahead, eat avocado and get a hot, slim stomach!
For meat lovers
- Turkey – Do not fear to try turkey once or twice a week. This deliciously delicious meat is a good source of protein. You can get snacks like veggie sandwich or curry turkey breast to add taste and health to your meals. Along with turkey, you can add fishes like Salmon and Tuna to increase protein take and turbo charge your metabolism!
Other Foods That Boost Metabolism
- Peppers – Spice up your meals -speed up your metabolism, by spicy hot peppers! They do not add taste and color to your foods but also prevails your from overeating. They contain an alkaloid substance called capsaicin which is responsible for the strong, hot taste and acts as Appetite Suppressant.
- According to the Journal of Biological Chemistry, capsaicin stimulates certain chemical processes within the body that inducation thermogenesis, by which the body produces energy in the form of heat, which in turn increases body temperature, following that, metabolic boost occurs.
- Honey – While Pooh may not exist in the real world, there is nothing false about the nutritional benefits of his favorite food: Honey. The natural sweetener has been reported to curb your appetite. It contributes to a healthy metabolic rate by enabling you to eat less, causing your body to burn excess body fat for energy. Having a mixture of two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with a small amount of honey (add garlic if can bear the taste) will help increase the metabolism to quite helpful rate.
- Green Tea – Looking for some really effective and easy way to have a youthful and slimmer body? Here we give you a natural, economic and tasty solution. Now you can give your body green tea to shed off some unnecessary pounds!
- Green tea contains caffeine and a catechin called EGCG, both of which are involved in thermogenesis by which the body burns calories for energy. The percentage of fat that your body burns for energy also increases by up to 16% by the intake of green tea. So do not forget to have a cup of Great Tea every morning or any time of the day.
- Olive oil – Olive oil is used for cooking and in salads. It has a number of antioxidant compounds which possess anti-inflammatory properties. Olive oil is a rich source of the monounsaturated fatty acid: oleic acid which may help boost your metabolism.
- Olive oil is very effective when used in a calorie-reduced diet. But keep in mind, olive oil contains a lot of fat and calories, and it should not be used in excess amounts. You can use olive oil and other polyunsaturated / monounsatured oils in preparing the recipes of The Metabolic Cooking, which contains very easy to cook fat burning recipes.